- 1. Titanium is easy to produce dense titanium oxide passivation film on its surface in air, oxidizing, and neutral aqueous medium, which makes the electrode potential of titanium significantly shift and greatly improves the thermodynamic stability. The passivation coefficient is used to express the degree of improvement in the chemical stability of the metal after passivation, iron is 0.18, nickel is 0.37, molybdenum is 0.49, chromium is 0.74, aluminum is 0.82, and titanium is 2.44. Mount titanium mesh understands that titanium has much better corrosion resistance than stainless steel, aluminum, etc. in many media. (The mobile container also utilizes the light specific gravity and high specific strength of titanium)
- 2. Titanium does not have the low-temperature brittleness problem like ferritic steel. Titanium can be used as a low-temperature container with a temperature as low as -269 degrees, but because austenitic stainless steel, aluminum, copper, etc. can also be used as a low-temperature container, and It is cheaper than titanium, so titanium is actually rarely used in low-temperature fixed containers. In aviation and aerospace, titanium is used as mobile low-temperature containers. It is important to take advantage of the high specific strength, light weight and characteristics of titanium.
- 3. Carbon steel, low-alloy steel, general stainless steel, and aluminum have poor corrosion resistance in sea water, salt water and other chlorine-containing media. Titanium has unique and excellent corrosion resistance. About 50% of titanium containers are used Anti-corrosion of chlorine-containing media.
- 4. Since the corrosion resistance of titanium is caused by the surface oxide film, general industrial pure titanium and titanium alloys are not resistant to corrosion in strong reducing media such as high temperature hydrochloric acid. Ti-32Mo is resistant to hydrochloric acid corrosion, but its plasticity and process performance are poor. It has not been included in the pressure processing titanium standard, nor is it included in this standard as titanium for containers.
- 5. Titanium fuming nitric acid, dry chlorine, methanol, trichloroethylene, liquid dinitrogen tetroxide, molten metal salt, carbon tetrachloride and other media under certain conditions may cause combustion, explosion or stress corrosion, causing titanium containers to produce For vicious accidents, titanium containers should be avoided or used with caution for these media.
- 6. Titanium will burn in pure oxygen with a temperature of more than 500 degrees or in air with a temperature of more than 1200 degrees. Therefore, the titanium container must not be exposed to open flames in contact with air and oxygen to avoid burning of the titanium container.
- 7. Titanium materials and titanium containers generally do not require assessment of impact toughness.
- 8. There are two main uses of titanium. One is used in aviation for supersonic aircraft, etc. Mainly use its high specific strength. The main brand is Ti-6Al-4V, the other is used in civil industry, mainly for its excellent corrosion resistance, the main brand is industrial pure titanium. Mount Titanium has learned that more than 90% of my country’s titanium is used in the civilian industry, and about 3/4 of the civilian industrial titanium is used in containers (including heat exchangers). Therefore, my country’s container titanium plays a pivotal role in the titanium industry.
Link to this article：Eight application characteristics of titanium knowledge
Reprint Statement: If there are no special instructions, all articles on this site are original. Please indicate the source for reprinting:Alloy Wiki，thanks